Sunday, January 25, 2015

Progress Report: Day 20

Greetings! It's the end of day 20 for me, and the end of this week was kind of shitty, to be honest. First, I sliced the absolute SHIT out of my thumb, then I gained 3 pounds, and then I decided that I hate my job and had a mini existential crisis in my brain. 

It all started on a dark and dismal Wednesday night....

Roommate wanted to see if she could make food that was Whole30 compliant, and I was like - cool, let's do it! I wanted to make those delicious sweet potato things I made earlier, and now I have a coolbeans mandolin to help me slice stuff....like my finger. It was bad. It was real bad. Luckily, my roommate was calm as a cucumber and reassured me that no, I did not leave the top half of my thumb on the counter, and yes, there was a lot of blood so I should probably NOT LOOK AT IT. I finally took a gander on Friday morning out of curiosity, and I did *not* like what I saw....because I saw this: SICK! 
Lesson learned: Don't get cocky when you slice vegetables. 

There was another downside to that fateful night, and that was the unfortunate combination of brussel sprouts (read: fiber) and the fact that, even though I love her to death and will always be indebted to her for saving my thumb's life, roommate is generous with the fats. I usually use either 1) non-stick cooking spray or 2) a cap-full of olive oil when I coat the pan....she used a  rather large amount for only one chicken breast (it was special for me because the other chicken got milk and butter and cream cheese). Also, I where I drizzle, she pours. She uses real butter, and I'm pretty sure I haven't had real butter since some random Christmas dinner in the last decade. We come from totally different food-prep backgrounds, and the last time I watched her make potato soup she put an entire package of cream cheese in it, and I had a mini-anxiety attack. I just...I can't. 

Anyway, I think I just got a bit too much EVOO and brussel sprouts that night, even though my dinner was like, off the chain delicious and I officially love brussel sprouts now...




...I felt wretched the next day. First day since I started that I had the burps, and I just felt puffy. And because of my obsession with the scale, I of course had to weigh myself, and a 3 pound gain overnight just doesn't seem right during a month-long adventure of clean eating and feeling like a rockstar. Usually if I gain 3 pounds overnight, it's 3 pounds worth of booze, just sayin'. Wait, that would be me feeling like a rockstar - minus the coke-nose, of course. :)

And so, with my disgusting thumb and my "why do I feel like shit?" days, I felt animosity toward everyone and everything. It was like I was in "Kill ALL the Things!" phase again, and I did not like it, Sam I Am - I did not like Green Eggs and I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE. It was rough - I had become accustom to feeling so great each day, like I could take on the world and truly enjoy raw almonds (never would have guessed that!), so when I felt "off" all of the sudden, it was very very noticeable. Crap, is this what it's going to be like when I end my 30 days? Because I don't wanna! Maybe I'll go for 45 days and use those extra 2 weeks to really plan how I'm going to approach eating in the near future. Dang, I might even make that Whole30 Mayo that everyone raves about - new food adventures! New life adventures! When will it be February, because January is dragging its ASS... adventures! 

P.S. I watched the ice skating thing that was on TV tonight, and the girls that took first and second place legit skated to Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera....coincidence? Probably. Proof that everything I love is awesome? Definitely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment